Muse Magazine

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

TRENDS: Channel surfing: random musings
























Sitting here watching the BET Awards, the following thoughts cross my mind:

1) Only here can one see psychedelic rock/rap duo Gnarls Barkley, gospel group Mary Mary and crunk duo Three Six Mafia nominated for an award in the same category.

2) It's nice to see Jennifer Holliday get her props for making that "Dreamgirls" song a hit first.


3) It's interesting to see Diddy sing an '80's rock flavored single (it actually samples Prince's "Erotic City".) Not because he's tone-deaf, but because some of hip hop's most prominent producers and artists seem to be increasingly look to do things outside of the genre. In a recent interview, for example, Timbaland stated that hip hop is pretty much a stale genre and that he's looking to produce music for pop (Madonna, Justin Timberlake), electronica (Bjork) and rock artists instead. I guess Outkast's Andre 3000 and Pharrell Williams's N.E.R.D. can be credited with first sparking that shift.

4) On another note, 50 Cent is doing more singing than rhyming while performing his new single. Is singing the new rap?

5) I love that Kelly Rowland's hair and performance outfit makes her look like Wonder Woman from a distance.

6) And Diana Ross. One word: "Mahogany." And three more: "Lady Sings the Blues." The two reasons I have so many capes and 1970's referencing items in my closet today.

7) Um, does anyone else find it jarring to see Flavor Flav pumping a fist in the air chanting "power to the people" after shucking so hard on VH1? Still, it's nice to see him back with Public Enemy.

8) And I had wondered when someone would wear those Balenciaga leggings that Beyonce Knowles wore during "Get Me Bodied" in public.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was weird seeing Flavor Flav performing with PE too. His Charm School image is forever etched in my brain.But I loved the Diana tribute.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Kelly Rowland's outfit too. I'm not convinced about Beyonce's leggins though.
Stacy

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This picture of Lady Di made me want to stick my tongue out and say, "'Cos I'm a winna, baby and you're a lewza!" I LOVE Tracy Chambers!! Feeling Kelly Rowland's look these days too!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the candle wax dripping down her face lol!

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter