Muse Magazine

Thursday, September 13, 2007

WARDROBE: How do you say drama in French?























After a controversial article ran in Women's Wear Daily, in which more than a few editors and retailers (including the International Herald Tribune's Suzy Menkes who threatened to never attend another one of his shows) criticized Marc Jacobs' two hour late start time, the designer basically told them all to go to hell in a scathing reply in today's edition. He even mentioned that he might stop showing in New York and take his show to Paris or London instead. A few excerpts:

"Another thing, everybody talks about these families they have to go home to. I mean, every person who works in every factory in Italy, and every person who works in our sample room, they didn't see their families for six weeks so that we could do this show two weeks early. So I'm really appalled that people have absolutely no perception of what it takes to do things. And when we complain about the show schedule our voice is not heard, nobody does anything about it, the CFDA does me absolutely no service whatsoever as an American fashion designer."

"I don't really feel a part of the American fashion community. I really feel like an outsider, I think we all do, and we feel unloved here, so we want to go somewhere else."

"I work my ass off. I don't take vacations, I don't have homes all over the world, I don't ride horses: I f---ing work for a living. Again, like this idea, you have a family? OK, well that's nice, I don't, and I work. So leave me alone and don't come to the show next time."

6 Comments:

Blogger Bryanboy said...

what an arrogant son of a bitch.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I work my ass off. I don't take vacations"

yeah when he's not photographed partying all over town drunk/high with his hooker boyfriend in tow....

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think his response was actually perfect. Good for him for standing his ground. I mean yeah it's not cool to be late. But he really is the only designer who puts on a real show in New York.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I was at the show and was appalled. You could see the look of sheer boredom on Anna Wintour's face too during the wait. She looked over it. And Teri Agins actually said that she was "over it" when she was trying to get inside before the show started. Editors were steaming mad

10:27 AM  
Blogger Lenoxave said...

Hi there -

I love your site.

Mark is certainly entitled to his opinion, but lateness is not acceptable. He is not the only person in the world who works hard and is dedicated to his craft.

Time is a valuable commodity and 2 hours is pretty significant. He wasted the time of others. Period.

If he feels like such an outsider when it comes to American fashion, then maybe he should stop coming to NYC. It is certainly his prerogative.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read the article and it also brought up the fact that the schedule was completely off this season. So he was working under some pretty tough circumstances.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter