Muse Magazine

Saturday, July 01, 2006

LIFE: And then we started listening

It’s like that Chris Rock standup routine about the cultural climate in America, post 9-11:

"'I'm American, man! I'm American! F*ck all these f*ckin' foreigners!' …'I'm American, man! I'm American! F*ck the French!' That was cool. Then 'I'm American, man! I'm American! F*ck all these Arabs!' And that was cool. Then they went to: 'I'm American! I'm American! F*ck all these illegal aliens!' Then I started listening, because I know that niggas and Jews is next."

I couldn’t help but think of that routine when I got onto an elevator headed up to my office last week and saw a fluorescent orange bumper sticker produced by a white supremacist group called the National Alliance complaining about the debate over immigration and that “non-whites are stealing all of our jobs.” The sight was jarring, but given recent headlines, not surprising.
-Muse
info@musemag.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter