Muse Magazine

Monday, August 13, 2007

LIFE: Summer reading: What's really making our handbags so heavy























Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's "Half of a Yellow Sun" stuck with us in such a significant way after we finished reading it, we're now immersed in an Africa literary moment. So we picked up her debut novel, "Purple Hibiscus," ("Yellow" is her second), which, so far, seems to offer a compelling allegory of the affects of colonialism through a teenage girl's observations of her abusive father's hold on her family. "What is the What," by Dave Eggers, meanwhile, has managed to grab us in a chokehold and freak us out from the very first line. It's also opening our eyes to the differences in the way Africans and African-Americans perceive each other.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had those two books referred to me, and now I see this book you are telling me about.. something as a young black woman I am so interested in learning about.. Thank you again.

Di. www.myspace.com/beautifulsoulflower

I have you on my top list, because I feel its so important for young women like myself to see such positive and soul grasping literature, and everything else you present.. its so worth it.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter